Ice Breaker: Change your Words, Change your Mindset
(adapted from a lesson featured on fortheloveofteaching.net – check here for more examples of fixed vs. growth mindset)
- Index cards with ‘fixed mindset’ phrases on them
- Blank index cards
- Writing tool
- Mentors explain to the students the difference between a fixed vs. growth mindset.
- Students are given an index card with a fixed mindset phrase – “I can’t do it”, “This is too hard…”, “I don’t want to”, etc.
- Students are challenged with the task of changing the phrase from one that is ‘fixed’ to one that is ‘growth’ – they will write the new phrase on the blank index cards provided
- When student pairs have finished, they will stand in front of their groups and introduce themselves.They will present their old vs. new phrase.
- Students and mentors discuss which sound better and why
**Talking Points:Why is this shift in self-talk important in life? How can this help you to achieve your dreams?
Download this activity here.