Hour of Code
- Computer or iPad
- If school/classroom does not have computers/iPads available, consider having employees bring their own and working in groups
- If internet is not available in the classroom, download one of the following offline versions of Hour of Code beforehand:
Happy children learn programming using laptops on extracurricular classes
- (Optional) Present the introduction video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYZF6oIZtfc
- Review vocabulary words
- Coding– meanto write code, or to write instructions for a computer.
- Programming– similarly, means to write code or instructions. Today, you will program with blocks on the computer.
- Sequencing– Putting commands in the correct order so that computers can read the commands (Use an example of the importance of this, like how you bake a cake and have to follow steps in a certain order (i.e. you can’t bake the cake before you have your ingredients mixed).
- Bug– Part of a program that does not work correctly
- Debugging– Finding and fixing problems in a program or algorithm
- Have students navgitate to a web browser and enter the following URL: https://studio.code.org/hoc/1.
- A video will appear with instructions (https://youtu.be/bQilo5ecSX4). Watch individually or as a class.
- Have students work to complete all the puzzles (this can be done individually, in pairs or small groups).
Download this activity here.