What is a Character Trait
- Children’s book or short story
- Character trait handout
- Markers, pens or any writing utensil
- Read a story out loud with your students. You can read the story to them for the younger grades, or have the students take turns reading sections out loud.
- Pass out Character traits graphic organizer.
- Explain the definition of a character trait.
- Ask the students to each select one character from the story and identify 5 character traits, writing each trait in one of the bubbles on the handout.
- Discuss each trait with your students. Explore why the student chose that trait and if it is a positive or negative trait and why?
- If time permits, you can choose additional characters or talk about character traits in particular celebrities, athletes, family members, or TV/film characters that the students identify with.
Download this activity here.