Mentor Read Aloud
Materials: Children’s Book (suggestions included on our book list here)
- Inform the students that you will be reading a book to them. Make sure to tell them to listen closely because you will have some questions for them at the end!
- Be sure to turn the book towards your camera so that the students can see the pictures
- Make sure you are in a quiet space with good light and use a loud voice
Comprehension Question Suggestions to Facilitate Discussion:
- Could this story be true? Why or why not?
- Where is the setting of this story?
Who is this story about? Tell about him or her.
- What words would you use to describe the main character?
- Do you like the main character? Why or why not?
- Does the main character have a problem? What is it?
- How is the problem solved? (What is the solution?)
- What is the scariest, funniest, saddest, most interesting, or most funny part of the story? Read it aloud.
- Do you like this story? Why or why not?
- Do you know any real people who are like the characters in this story? Who are the people? How are they the same? How are the different?
- Did anything in the story happen that has happened to you? Tell about it.
- Who is telling this story? Is there a narrator?
- Why do you think the author chose the title for this story? How does it relate to the story?
- Would you like to be a character from the story? Why or why not?
- Would you recommend this book to a friend? Why or why not?
Download activity here